Loneliness vs Being Alone feat. Marlon Simpson (011)
Associate Clinical Psychologist, Marlon Simpson and I, have a conversation about loneliness versus being alone. Marlon holds a diploma in Ministerial Studies and another in Psychology, a Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in Theology and a Master’s of Science Degree in Clinical Psychology. After 11 years as a Minister of Religion, with responsibilities of care, guidance and pastoral oversight of a total of 15 congregations over this time, he decided to become a Clinical Psychologist. In this space, he has the ability to further delve into his intrigue with the human mind and exercise his desire to assist others in this vast area.
- Guest intro
- What drew you to the profession of Clinical Psychology?
- Definition of Alone
- Definition of Loneliness
- Types of Loneliness
- Definition of Social Isolation
- What is your experience with being alone, loneliness and/or social isolation?
- How would you describe your social personality outside of work?
- When you interact with people does it matter whether they are new people or familiar friends you care about?
- Paint a picture of what loneliness is like for you?
- What do you think caused your feeling of loneliness in that scenario?
- What are some of the things that feed our loneliness?
- Reference blog 'Loneliness: An Epidemic?'
- Do you think people are becoming more lonely and why?
- Have you ever opened your IG and felt left out when you see your friends out?
- Ways to combat loneliness:
- When was the last time you took yourself out on a date?
- Change the script in our minds
- Changing the environment that we are in.
- Doing something physical
- Biopsychosocial model
- What are some of the detrimental effects of loneliness?
- Decreased libido
- What are some of the medical illnesses that can cause you to feel lonely?
- How can people find you professionally?
- Using dating apps/hookup apps to escape loneliness.
- Where are you now in your personal journey with loneliness/being alone?
- Final words
Join our newsletter
Stay up to date re all things Tlk Trth. We promise not to overload or spam your mailbox :)